Wednesday, June 23, 2010

La Plata Argentina - #7

This post is part of my ongoing blog of information related to La Plata, Argentina and travel that included the State of Sao Paulo Brazil (see previous posts). My intention with this post is to highlight several resources provided by those who have responded to my emails, have assisted with a planned visit to La Plata in 2011, and as a thank you to my favorite podcasts.

Genealogy Gems Podcast / World Vital Records:

When I first created this blog, I sent information to Lisa Louise Cooke, Genealogy Gems Podcast [http://genealogygems.tv/] who referenced the blog in Episode 86. In response to that post, a comment was received via Lisa from World Vital Records: "I was listening to your last podcast, where you had a listener who is doing genealogy research in Argentina. We have a large database called Familias Argentinas with over 14,000 individuals in it. It is found at http://www.worldvitalrecords.com/indexinfo.aspx?ix=familiasargentinas ."

Genealogy Guys Podcast

I also sent a notice to the genealogy guys (http://genealogyguys.com/) who mentioned the blog in Podcast #204, 8 June 2010. They did an excellent job highlighting the blog - thank you to George G. Morgan and Drew Smith, the hosts of the podcast.


Art Frommer's Travel Podcast

Pauline Frommer was kind enough to answer an email sent to her father, Art Frommer. Her response, in part was: "Such companies as Port Compass, ShoreTrips or Port Promotions would be able to hook you up with a local tour operator. Or you could simply go to www.frommers.com, key in Buenos Aires and get contact info for local tour operators there."

The Travel Show with Art and Pauline Frommer can be accessed at http://www.wor710.com/The-Travel-Show-with-Arthur-Frommer/3600821 or via itunes. The show is two hours once a week on Sundays.

ByT Argentina (http://www.bytargentina.com/)

By independently searching the web, I found a firm named ByT Argentina that is located in Buenos Aires. I contacted them and the various firms highlighted by Pauline Frommer. Not only was ByT the cheapest, but Roxana del Canto, Travel Consultant, worked closely with me to develop a tour with a pickup at the dock to La Plata and return on the first day we were in port. I sent her the link to this blog, which she was able to use to determine my exact interests. Not only did she offer a tour in a modern van with an English speaking guide (I don't speak Spanish) but did so with my interests in mind and at a fee about 40% less than the US based firms. If the tour is half as good as I anticipate, it will be well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment